Sunday Times Books LIVE Community Sign up

Login to Sunday Times Books LIVE

Forgotten password?

Forgotten your password?

Enter your username or email address and we'll send you reset instructions

Sunday Times Books LIVE

Kathryn White

@ Sunday Times Books LIVE

I’m glad this is not a competition

1 Pride and Prejudice – Jane Austen – x

96 A Town Like Alice – Nevil Shute -
97 The Three Musketeers – Alexandre Dumas
98 Hamlet – William Shakespeare – x
99 Charlie and the Chocolate Factory – Roald Dahl – x
100 Les Miserables – Victor Hugo

Total: 5

Grand Total: 50. Pwah! What a silly list. (It’s the beeb’s list, 2003 i think).
Your turn: No xs (or disclaimers) for books not finished (or even in the process of reading), or for books to read, or for series half finished, or i’m sure i must’ve read its.

Recent comments:

• <a href="http://www.moxyland.com" rel="nofollow">Lauren Beukes</a>
    Lauren Beukes
    July 27th, 2009 @17:07 #

44 total. You should read Cloud Atlas, I think (based on Emily Green) that you'll like it.

Bottom
  • <a href="http://helenmoffett.book.co.za" rel="nofollow">Helen</a>
    Helen
    July 27th, 2009 @17:19 #

58, excluding ones I've never finished. Not sure why Hamlet and Complete Works of Shakespeare are both listed, so because I have read the latter -- at least all the plays (but only because I had to in my Honours year, jeez Coriolanus was a bore), am not sure Hamlet counts. So 57. You MUST read Cloud Atlas, ditto The Hitchhiker's Guide series. And Gone With The Wind.

Bottom
  • <a href="http://kathrynwhite.book.co.za" rel="nofollow">Kathryn</a>
    Kathryn
    July 27th, 2009 @17:32 #

Cloud Atlas is next to my bed, waiting for me! Hitchhiker's have started about 3 times, but not continued. (On bookshelf now). Gone With the Wind, have never considered reading but will :)

Bottom
  • <a href="http://fionasnyckers.book.co.za" rel="nofollow">Fiona</a>
    Fiona
    July 27th, 2009 @18:59 #

74 - I've done this before on Facebook.

Books I'm embarrassed not to have read - His Dark Materials Trilogy, The Kite Runner, Anna Karenina.

Books I'm proud to have read - Moby Dick, Madame Bovary, Vanity Fair.

Books I have no intention of ever reading - Da Vinci Code, Lord of the Rings, War & Peace, Crime & Punishment, finishing Ulysses.

Book that I cannot understand why it is on the list - The Secret History (why??? I've read it, but why????)

Books I must really get around to reading - Cloud Atlas, Swallows & Amazons.

Book I wish everyone would read 'cos it's so awesome - Cold Comfort Farm.

Bottom
  • <a href="http://helenmoffett.book.co.za" rel="nofollow">Helen</a>
    Helen
    July 27th, 2009 @22:35 #

Fiona, I am seriously impressed. I agree totally re Cold Comfort Farm, it would easily make my top five list of funniest books ever. Now let me imitate you (sincerest form of flattery):

I'm embarrassed not to have read The Grapes of Wrath, The Woman in White, Vanity Fair and ol' Sherlock Holmes.

I'm proud of having read Middlemarch. It's a world in a book.

I share Fifi's no intention of ever reading list, right down to not finishing Ulysses, although I have read The Da Vinci Code and wish I hadn't bothered. I'm not sure I want to read Lord of the Rings, but feel I ought to read The Hobbit.

In the what is it doing on this list??? category: The Five People You Meet In Heaven, The Faraway Tree.

On my "when I have time" list: Anna Karenina, A Suitable Boy.

I wish I hadn't bothered reading Lolita, The Life of Pi, Lord of the Flies (ugh) and Jude the Obscure (most wretchedly depressing and pointless book of all time).

If I could pick one book to teach to undergraduate English students, it would be Jane Eyre. Or one of the Austens.

One book I have read over and over with irrational affection: A Town Like Alice.

Bottom
  • <a href="http://sveneick.book.co.za" rel="nofollow">Sven</a>
    Sven
    July 27th, 2009 @22:40 #

I have watched 25 of them as full length feature films or television adaptations, and read the Da Vinci Code. How can you conceive of a list like this without realising that the Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe is part of the Chronicles of Narnia series, or that nobody in history has read Ulysses?

Bottom
  • <a href="http://fionasnyckers.book.co.za" rel="nofollow">Fiona</a>
    Fiona
    July 27th, 2009 @22:53 #

How did you not enjoy The Life of Pi? That tiger - he was such a puddy tat! I loved it. One of my all-time favourite books ever.

As for Lolita ... I can't say I actually enjoyed it (I was the same age as Lolita is in the beginning of the book when I first read it), but I'm very pleased to have read it, just to have a clear point of reference for purposes of discussion.

I get the feeling you're not a huge Enid Blyton fan, Helen. I definitely am. Adored the Faraway Tree series, plus everything else of hers I ever read.

I would teach every single Austen novel before I let Jane Eyre slip into the curriculum, although I do love it and have read it many times. That "Hark a Vagrant" comic strip of Dude Watching With the Brontes was beyond hysterical. I still giggle every time I think of it.

Bottom
  • <a href="http://helenmoffett.book.co.za" rel="nofollow">Helen</a>
    Helen
    July 27th, 2009 @23:45 #

Austen wins out over the Brontes for me anyday, but oh, the pleasure of teaching all that high Gothic drama, the Romantic voyage of the orphan alone, the spectacularly Freudian and feminist (not a combo you see often) notion of the pyromaniac madwoman locked away in the attic...

Well done on spotting the Narnia oopsie, Mr Eick. Has ANYONE out there read Ulysses all the way to the end? And if so, are they telling the truth?

Fiona, I agree that was a splendid tiger, but the scene where it ate the zebra was NOT H-rated. I still have flashbacks...

Bottom
  • <a href="http://kathrynwhite.book.co.za" rel="nofollow">Kathryn</a>
    Kathryn
    July 28th, 2009 @08:24 #

I often think of the island of teeth in Pi. i have a marker in my middlemarch, i started a while ago but wish i hadn't bought such a pulpy copy - the paper is so soft it looks edible and the font is dark and smudgy. also, helen, i am sad to say but i stopped halfway thru possession. think it may go back onto the bookshelf for another few months. i know i will love it when the time is right, but it's not right at the moment. btway i think this IS a very stupid list. where are the bankers like god of small things, things fall apart, something by doris lessing, graham greene, coetzee etc. maybe we shld make an SA list? ooooo i like that. a Book SA list. it doesn't have to be south africanised, it's just that more people may have read The Voice and Nervous Conditions and Half a Yellow Sun.

Bottom
  • <a href="http://helenmoffett.book.co.za" rel="nofollow">Helen</a>
    Helen
    July 28th, 2009 @08:43 #

Now that is an idea, Mz Kitty. Why don't you draw up a list and post it? Story of an Arican Farm. Cry The Beloved Country. Buckingham Palace District Six. Diary of Iris Vaughan...

Bottom

Please register or log in to comment

» View comments as a forum thread and add tags in BOOK Chat